Post new topic   Reply to topic    Keepers of the Circle Forum Index -> Welcome & General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
HirnKhan
Inactive Member

re: So What Games Are You Involved In?

Currently I play railnation, dreadball, bloodball and some Neverwinter.

Otherwise I am preparing for the first PF campaign later this year.

/Michael

Summersnow097

Neverwinter, Marvel Heroes, Hearthstone

TT

Currently in between games.  I had been running a homebrew PF campaign but that got sidetracked with work and most of the players jumping to a star wars game for a bit.

I am hoping to start something up soon so I can use all that nifty Dwarven Forge terrain I've acquired.

Non roleplaying I do X-wing, Star Trek Attack wing and in a few months D&D attack wing.

Does anyone else use hero lab for character creation?

Erian El'ranelen
Inactive Member

I've had Hero Lab since it started supporting Pathfinder. Very nice product, with my only "meh" being that they haven't gotten to Android support yet.

Mendirin Selvithal
Inactive Member

Erian El'ranelen wrote:

Playing in a monthly Pathfinder game of Skull and Shackles right now with my wife, son, and some friends. Good times to have my boy in on his first full-fledged campaign. I also run sessions of Hero Kids for my girls (they're both 4ish), so family gaming all around.

Outside of tabletop, we play Pirate101 (and occasionally Wizard101) as a family. All of us also play Minecraft except for my wife. I run a Attack of the B Team Server that my son and I are active on, and we're both also starting up on the Age of Adventure servers. 

We're very similar Erian.  My wife and I are playing in a Shattered Star meets The Tales of the Old Margreve custom game, almost weekly.  We have kids about the age as your girls and we've played a Hero Kids a few times with them also.  My oldest daughter is playing Wizard101 as well.

-Mendirin

Carbon D. Metric
Inactive Member

Erian El'ranelen wrote:

I've had Hero Lab since it started supporting Pathfinder. Very nice product, with my only "meh" being that they haven't gotten to Android support yet.

Yeah, that's been something of a bear in general. They only had the IOS version out last year, but word is that it should be available on Android by late August.

Inactive Member

I was a fan of Hero Lab for a while, but for Pathfinder I mostly use The Only Sheet now. I feel like it's got better support and is easier to add odd custom stuff to, with the only real downside being that it's excel-based.

Erian El'ranelen
Inactive Member

I supported my own PF sheet for a while (the Pathfinder Character Xcelerator, if anyone ever used it). But maintaining all the fiddly bits in Excel got to be a bear. Once I got the hang of the Hero Lab back end stuff, I pretty much never looked back. I did highly dislike the print output for a while, util the Ancient character sheet came available.

Carbon D. Metric
Inactive Member

Erian El'ranelen wrote:

I did highly dislike the print output for a while, util the Ancient character sheet came available.

I agree, I switched to AncientOnes Output and never looked back.

Agreed on Ancientone

I do wish they'd hurry along with the hero lab file for the Deep Magic spellbook.

So many new and exciting ways to slaughter entertain the victims players.

Erian El'ranelen
Inactive Member

I only have one thing to say about Deep Magic. Burning Monkey Swarm.

Frostrazor
Keeper of Wood

A little of this may be repetitive of my intro post I did an hour ago.

I play Pathfinder a lot.  I started playing during the Alpha testing when Wizards of the Coast first announced a new edition (4th) and bought back the rights to Dungeon and Dragon Mag.  I had become a huge fan of the Paizo crew and their work in the Dungeon mags (the 12 part adventure parts specifically), and I loved 3rd edition to not want the support to go away so I started playtesting for PF, and loved the direction they were taking.  I wound up subscribing to just about every product line of theirs, and have I think just about every release they've done (much to my wife's chagrin). :-)

Currently I play every Friday - alternating weeks between two games and two DMs. One (tonight) is the Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Path which has been nothing less than tremendous and fantastic.  I play a (female) Ulfen paladin named Shandralyn (which will also be the name of the my "back-up" character for PF MMO - thanks to the shared XP boon of the kickstarter; I have a Shandralyn on just about every MMO I play).  Next Friday will be the other campaign - Rise of the Runelords.  I play a Varisian Sorcerer/Rogue (very swashbuckler bard like), named Myrcutio.   He is a lot of fun.  I recently finished running Kingmaker Campaign that I started just before the Kickstarter for PF MMO came around so I was really jazzed how the two were so similar.  It was a unique and brilliant experience.  Looking forward to seeing how it shapes out in an MMO.

My only hang-up with Pathfinder is that they still haven't "fixed" higher level gaming yet.  It still takes forever to adjudicate combat rounds and is very clunky with too many numbers and modifiers to keep track of.  I feel the rules get in the way of the story especially at higher levels.  Which the Rise game is now 13th level and Wrath is 9th; so one is already well past the breaking point and the other is on the cusp.  But the broken higher levels of PF is a soapbox that I can go on forever. I did the playtest w/ D&D Next and am quite impressed; but I will not plan to buy anything - because I literally have several thousand dollars invested in 3rd ed / PF / 3rd party compatible products to last a lifetime.  I prefer "roleplaying" and good stories over strategy rule-heavy games.  I take the rules w/ PF because their adventures are top of the line.

I find myself in a very unusual situation that I am not GMing a D&D/Pathfinder game. Since about 1988, I have pretty much been a full-time DM.  I'm now a player in two different games and it feels weird.  To offset that I run an occasional Saturday game which I alternate between Paranoia (a hilarious slap-stick satire of a game in which the players try to sabotage one another all while working for a paranoid deranged Artificially Intelligent computer that rules their society), The One Ring which is by far the best Tolkien-based RPG ever written (it captures the flavor and feel of his writing style so perfectly and is fairly well supported and the writing is superior), and a new game called Shadows of Esteren (which is a cross between Ravenloft, Lovecraft-ish, Dark-tolkien, and game of thrones type setting).  Both The One Ring and Shadows of Esteren are very story and characters driven - light on rules and easy to adjudicate, and a lot of fun to run as a GM.  So it's a great contrast to what I find cumbersome of PF.    Once Runelords completes I will be back in the PF DM seat, and am working on creating a big mega-campaign either Desert/Wastelands based using the Mummy's Mask as a centerpiece, or a Pirate based campaign using Skulls and Shackles as the centerpiece.  Regardless, as usual, the game will be sandboxy and incorporate a lot of different material and much of my own to give the players a lot options to go and do.

On the Video game front, I play only one MMO - Lord of the Rings Online (LotRO). I'm on the Crickhollow server, and am the leader of a guild called Pathfinders of the Rohirrim.  My main character is Shandralyn - a 82nd level Warden (woman of Rohan).   I love all things Tolkien and have much knowledge about Middle-earth.  Aside from that, the only two games I'm addicted to on my PS3 are Madden Football and Borderlands 2.  And I play Diablo 3 alot on my computer - of course I have a Frostrazor and a Shandralyn in that game (Barbarian and Crusader respectively).   In truth, I much prefer tabletop roleplaying to video games.  Given a choice, i would always turn off the computer to go to hang out with friends and drop dice. 

My son (9) has been playing LOTRO since he was 6. He plays (tabletop) The One Ring with us and I enjoy being able to do that with him.  He plays Madden and Borderlands with me.   My wife used to play RPGs (D&D/Pathfinder) with us but kinda gave it all up a couple years ago). She does still play LOTRO with me though.  We are all Tolkien fans.  So the three of us often are playing LOTRO together.  Which is quite wonderful.  I bought the add-on pack for PF MMO to have a friend-forger get all the perks I got - i will allow my wife and/or son use that account. Most likely my wife will not truly get into it, so my son will no doubt inherit it.

"The true mettle of men are tested not in times of comfort, but in the presence of conflict and adversity."
"Courage is not defined by the absence of fear....it is doing what must be done in spite of it."
Erian El'ranelen
Inactive Member

Ah, The One Ring and Shadows of Esteren are my two favorite new games. When we started our recent TT back up, I told the group I couldn't run a PF game but would gladly do either of those. At present, another fellow picked up GMing so we're in Shackles, but my next game will definitely be one of these. I've also got the Hobbit Tales storytelling game open on my desk as I type this.

Frostrazor
Keeper of Wood

Erian El'ranelen wrote:

Ah, The One Ring and Shadows of Esteren are my two favorite new games. When we started our recent TT back up, I told the group I couldn't run a PF game but would gladly do either of those. At present, another fellow picked up GMing so we're in Shackles, but my next game will definitely be one of these. I've also got the Hobbit Tales storytelling game open on my desk as I type this.

You sir are my kind of gamer.  You will enjoy either I'm sure.  TOR has a bit more support for now as far as adventures go.  The Darkening of Mirkwood mega adventure book is awesome and is literally spanning 30 years of adventuring for the heroes - spanning the time that Mirkwood is corrupted by The Necromancer and he eventually announces himself as Sauron and it become known that he is once again in power in Mordor. (cue the Fellowship of the Ring story at that point).

I run my TOR game very sandboxy and open. I have the players tell me where they wish to go next and why.....then I plan the game and then we meet.  I make sure to drop plenty of plot-hooks each game so that they always have something they want to do - both as a group and individual goals.

"The true mettle of men are tested not in times of comfort, but in the presence of conflict and adversity."
"Courage is not defined by the absence of fear....it is doing what must be done in spite of it."
Erian El'ranelen
Inactive Member

Yeah, I've been following both from their start ups. Esteren is a gorgeously evocative setting. I pre-order all the TOR stuff so I can get the PDF as well. The Fellowship Phase aspect looks like a fabulous way to have a mechanical system that actually works well for down time, as well as prep for the next adventure.

Thorbrand
Inactive Member

I was running Pathfinder and Ice and Fire campaigns but the game shop in town closed. This is very sad since I live in the country and no one wants to come out here to play. So we don't have a place to get together any longer. Been trying almost on a daily basis to figure out a solution but no one wants to have game sessions at their house.

I played through ESO, Wildstar and Archeage already. Wasn't impressed with those games. Been spending time playing Civ 5, Banished and EUV. All great games.

Might be running through the DA series to get ready for DAIII.

Still working with setting up a game in Realm Works since I also back them on kickstart.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Keepers of the Circle Forum Index -> Welcome & General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum