Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Keepers of the Circle Forum Index -> Welcome & General Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaiGuy
Inactive Member

re: Persona 4: The anime

One of my favorite games of all time, Persona 4, has an anime adaptation.  I really like it, it can be hard to follow for those who haven't played the game, but I'd recommend giving it a shot if you have the chance.  Here's a link to the anime free on Hulu:  Persona 4

Here's a link to a review Persona 4 Review, I'll probably get around to writing my own review later.  For now though this is faster.  ;P

Edit:  I fixed the Hulu link to go to the first episode, rather than the 4th.

Ash'gan
Inactive Member

From the little I saw of the game when my sister in law played it I'm not into that but I might give the anime a shot maybe its more interesting.

but sfar as anime goes I would recommend SAO or Sword Art Online, bit more in line with our current game of choice I would say.

ChaiGuy
Inactive Member

Ash'gan wrote:

From the little I saw of the game when my sister in law played it I'm not into that but I might give the anime a shot maybe its more interesting.

but sfar as anime goes I would recommend SAO or Sword Art Online, bit more in line with our current game of choice I would say.

Thank you very much for you anime recommendation Ash'gan.  Is there a certain website, or such that you'd advise me use to watch this anime?  I'll check on Hulu.

Ash'gan
Inactive Member

Crunchyroll.com is a website focused on anime and manga, I know you can watch a lot of the shows for free with commercials like hulu or other sites like that but they also have a small sub fee you can do I think its around 5 or 6$ if you have that much to spare which lets you watch commercial free and some anime you can even see a few hours after release in japan even.

Edit: I'm fairly sure I even saw Persona anime on there, I passed over it but I'll give it a watch.  I seriously doubt it can be any worse or weird than some of the anime I have watched when bored and looking for a new series.

Double Edit: I probably could recommend a lot more anime I found to be enjoyable if your looking for more shows to watch.

ChaiGuy
Inactive Member

I've watched the first episode of SAO, and I found the visuals to be top notch and the story to be quite original and intriguing indeed.  Thank you Ash'gan for recomending this anime.  As I watched the anime I remember hearing my friends describe this anime, I never got around to watching it though.

ChaiGuy
Inactive Member

<!-- [if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US JA X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]-->

<!-- [if gte mso 9]> <![endif]--><!-- [if gte mso 10]>

<![endif]-->

I’ll make a few notes about Persona in general; it might make it easier to follow what’s going on.  I’ve watched this anime with friends that have not played the game, and they noted that it was a little confusing.  At the least here are a few notes about the series.

Persona has 2 main themes:  Tarot and Jungian psychology.

Tarot:  this has several areas of influence for Persona.  These cards appear at certain times during the game/anime, such as during the closing of each episode of the anime.  Different personality types can be attributed to the different Tarot major arcanas, the cast of the series follow along these lines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider-Waite_tarot_deck

Jungian psychology has a heavy influence on the Persona series, including the title.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/persona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_in_Jungian_psychology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_%28psychology%29

Ash'gan
Inactive Member

SUPER EDIT: ok I think there is 2 different animes I'm looking into it soon as I can but I think I'm watching a different one.

Sub EDIT: yup... there is Persona 4 and then there is Persona 4 Golden Animation.

Ok so I watched the first 5 episodes of Golden Animation where they turned Persona into a slice of life and ugh not my cup o tea.

I'm watching just the Base Persona 4 now.

ChaiGuy
Inactive Member

Ash'gan wrote:

SUPER EDIT: ok I think there is 2 different animes I'm looking into it soon as I can but I think I'm watching a different one.

Sub EDIT: yup... there is Persona 4 and then there is Persona 4 Golden Animation.

Ok so I watched the first 5 episodes of Golden Animation where they turned Persona into a slice of life and ugh not my cup o tea.

I'm watching just the Base Persona 4 now.

I didn't even know there was a Persona 4 Golden Animation, >.>, sorry for any confusion that may have caused.  I guess I'll look into it.

By the way, sorry for not answering this sooner, but feel free to suggest other anime if you would like Ash'gan.

Zaluke
Keeper of Wood

Interesting. I did like Persona 4 quite a bit, so I will have to check that out.

I recently came back from Otakon and listened while in a line to people talking about how Sword Art Online initially is good, but the second season is much worse. If you like Sword Art Online they suggested a different Anime called Log Horizon as being much better, as well as the .Hack series (which starts as .hack//Sign and continues with other names for five seasons).

I know the .Hack series started the "stuck in a video game" show (at least for modern audiences), but it was only one person that was stuck in. It follows around the other main characters outside the game world as well, so it deals with some deep issues and can get meta. I only saw the first season, but it was good.

As explained to me, the big difference between Sword Art Online and Log Horizon is that:

A) Log Horizon is better written (A dozen anime fans agreed, so there may be some truth to this).

B) In Sword Art Online they are trying to get out of the game and in Log Horizon they are learning to adapt to it.

Since by now there are several series about getting out of being stuck in games I think the different take Log Horizon took made a good impression.

Anyway, just conveying the general consensus at Otakon. Make of it what you will. ;) 

hmm I've seen both but I don't like the idea of saying one is better then the other, both have merits for different reasons.

While both are a stuck in game scenarios the death is transfered to real life gives SAO a much more serious tone and a focus on the action. 

On the other hand Log Horizon as you mentioned focuses on the players adapting to the world but also instead of being stuck through an interface it seems that they actually exist in the game world giving it a more stranded on an island feel where they are making the best of the situation and adapting.

as for the second season of SAO I'm assuming that is where they move onto the next MMO I think the name was Alfheim the story does loose some of its potency when the threat of death is removed but I still found it interesting to a degree, they recently also started the next part which I think the new MMO is Gun Gale Online and so far I'm liking it but will see (personally I like that there is some real world threat each time but I think it would get boring if it was each time the repeat of first season so I think its a nice changeup each new MMO)

Overall all I can say it I wold recommend watching both for different reasons.

Sidenote: I'll start compiling a list and edit it into this post or on another one.

Edit: ok so here goes I will list all the ones I like, I'm sure opinions can differ so I wont guarantee you or anyone else looking at this list will agree but here goes anyways (I'll also keep updating as I remember more) Also I'm sure some of these are already fairly well known so you might have seen them.

(also pardon if I misspell one)

Code Geass, Deathnote, To Aru No Index (or Toaru majutsu no index, or A Certain Magical Index), its counterpart series Toaru Kagaku no Rērugan (or A Certain Scientific Railgun),  Sword Art Online, Log Horizon (still recommend both), My Bride is A Mermaid (this one had me laughing from start to finish), My Little Monster, Toradora, (if the anime is anything like the manga) Nisekoi, Hataraku Maō-sama (or The Devil is a Part Timer,  also very funny), (erm not sure about recommending this one... if you can get past that one girl in the series) Air Master (also the ending kinda... probably has a manga counterpart that keeps the story going or somethin), (if you can handle the weirdness) Durarara.

That is all I can think of right now tho I'm sure there is many more I don't remember right now, these are just my top picks for one reason or another.

oh and some movies

Princess Mononoke, Wolf Children, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Keepers of the Circle Forum Index -> Welcome & General Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: